Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Fighter or Christian Bale blows my mind.

    Finally a feel good movie with drama.  In this day and age of emotionally manipulative story lines, it feels good to see a film that well...actually feels good.  This Boston drama had me cringing at the fashion and vocabulary choices of the infamous sisters who after Bale stole this movie.  These sisters though, were so convincing and scary at certain points in the film I thought we may actually see a casualty.  It had me crying at the clearly unchinkable armor of family ties.  It got me thinking.  What is acting?  Is it actually a higher calling?  Bale's performance certainly was.  Wahlberg's usual high pitched whining seemed fitting as younger brother Mickey where his higher pitched tone took on a supportive vulnerability that often happens in a marky mark role (The Departed).  Veteran actress Melissa Leo (Frozen River) served a superb performance of frustrating mother (Alice Walker) who in the end may be just like the one you or I have, fiercely defensive of her babies and at the same time egocentrically concerned about her own well being.  Mickey O'Keefe is a true find, playing himself.  The whole time I sat thinking who is this warm actor with a family sensibility that is clearly evident and the simple acting style of a child who hasn't fallen into habits yet.  Bravo to O'Russell who cast this gem in the film.  Both Jack McGee and Amy Adams give honest and impressive performances but of course for me the real draw was Christian Bale.  I've heard some say Bale's performance was over acted but in my mind there is no way that Christian Bale could be anything but exactly like Dicky in real life. I was drawn in and convinced, reminded me of Daniel Day Lewis, one of the other great remaining "method men." Its nice to see actors fully immersed in roles. To compare, while James Franco did an amazing job as Ralston in 127 hours, as a performance it seemed like there wasn't any acting which in turn has its own marvelous wonder for me, although Bale left me breathless. As far as "acting" goes though, nothing could ever be as bad as sean penn screaming, "is that my oscar in there?! IS THAT MY OSCAR IN THERE?" (mystic river)  
    All in all it's good to have O' Russell back, proving with The Fighter he can put together a bad ass cast and a feel good film.  ★ 1/2

2 comments:

  1. You're right. Bale was the best thing about the movie and possibly the best actor of the year. He’s one actor who still acts. As an actress I can admit that I usually play some variation of myself or my mother, but this man acts in a way that lets folks know it’s a real craft and gift and just because you're 22 and blonde and you get a contract with Disney, doesn’t mean you can do what he does. My boyfriend and I had a 20 minute conversation about him after. I wondered if he tried a hit of crack. He seems that invested. And I was really intrigued about O’Keefe. "Actor or real guy" I kept thinking. The sisters were great. U hit the nail on the head. The mother was terribly frustrating. I also loved the Cambodian girlfriend. The points where the movie got dirty and uncomfortable were the best. I loved the costumes. Wouldn’t it be awesome if they got a nom for costumes? Denim guess skirts, mc hammer/ bodybuilder pants with no socks, white leather boots, perfection! I tolerated Wahlberg who was clearly too old for the role. Why him? What's up with True Grit? Should I spend the $12.50?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is all around one of the best films through and through. The casting was so impeccable that I could smell the sweat, smoke, and pain through the screen. I even liked Amy Adams who typically equally bugs and bores me. Now for Christian Bale I'm in shock and awe he reminded me of all of the reasons acting is one of our highest art forms. His performance was more like man possessed by a character than an actor playing a role. Marky Mark made a wise choice with this one.

    ReplyDelete